The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Political
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities):
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption.
The British Embassy in Chisinau is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking to recruit a Political Officer.
The main purpose of the job is to:
- Provide high quality analysis and advice on Moldovan politics for the Ambassador, other customers in the Embassy, and the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (London). This includes explaining background, history and context as well as current political developments;
- Contribute to developing bilateral UK-Moldova relations by working on current initiatives, such as formal bilateral agreements, supporting the annual bilateral Strategic Political Dialogue process, and engaging with the Moldovan authorities and partners on policy issues.
In more detail, main responsibilities will include:
- Analyse and report on political developments in Moldova, including the Transnistrian region, and regional political and security developments;
- Proactively maintain and develop contacts among decision-makers, NGOs, media, civil society and academics;
- Identify and build on opportunities for the Ambassador (HMA) and Deputy Head of Mission (DHM) to develop high level contacts with the Presidency, Government, Parliament, other State institutions and Civil Society;
- Brief HMA and DHM on issues as requested, and contribute to briefings for high level visits; service requests for information from UK Government Departments;
- Serve as a point of contact for the non-trade titles of the UK-Moldova Strategic Partnership, Trade and Cooperation Agreement, and for bilateral air services arrangements as well as other Treaties; support the UK side’s preparations for the annual Strategic and Political Dialogue (including helping organise meetings);
- Work closely with the Programme, Defence, Trade and Communications teams to align political work with wider Embassy and HMG objectives; take part in regular Programme Boards (which take decisions on projects which the Embassy will support financially);
- Line manage the Communications Officer and carry out their duties in their absence.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Excellent English, Romanian and Russian language skills both oral and written (C1 level or above under the CEFR*);
- Graduate degree with at least 3 years professional track record in Political Science, International Affairs or a similar field;
- Knowledge and understanding of the current political scene in Moldova, and the main developments/political personalities since independence;
- Political objectivity;
- Excellent networking and stakeholder management skills;
- Strong research, analytical and presentation skills.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Experience of working in, or collaborating with, Moldovan government institutions or agencies;
- Experience of working internationally or on behalf of an international organisation;
- Knowledge of UK politics and global affairs.
Required competencies: Seeing the Big Picture, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline: 15 June 2021
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Full-time, Permanent
Working hours per week: 35
Country: Republic of Moldova
Location (City): Chisinau
Type of Post: British Embassy
Starting monthly salary (MDL): 30,209 gross
Start Date: 2 August 2021
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
This is a permanent full-time contract. All applicants must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Republic of Moldova and be prepared to ensure that right remains the scope of the contract.
The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Chisinau are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55. Deadline: 15 June 2021
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
To apply for this position click HERE